Join me in my adventures with knitting, crochet, sewing and thrifting with a bit of day to day life thrown in too!

Tuesday 21 February 2012

Birthday Cowl

This is another post Christmas birthday make.  It's only going to be short and sweet, and it's actually a bit of a cheat as I've already made one of this pattern and posted about it.  But the reason why I made it in the first place was as a bit of a practise for this gift.  Well, sort of.  It is a lovely cowl and I wanted one for myself anyway.  But as soon as I saw it on Ravelry I thought of my sister. 

It's the GAP-tastic cowl MkII.


I'm glad I got that first one to practise with though.  I was very new to knitting, especially in the round on circulars, and it helped to have a mock run at a few of the techniques.  It went much smoother for the MkII.  I considered using a smaller needle size as the first one was too loose.  But I stuck with the same needle and just tightened up the stitches more. 

Details
Pattern: GAP-tastic Cowl by Jen Geigley on Ravelry
Needle: 9mm circulars
Yarn: King Cole Comfort Chunky
Shade: 428 Dill
Total yarn used: 200g
Total price: £5.98 (£2.99 per 100g)

I used the long tail cast on and Elizabeth Zimmermann's sewn bind off to make sure it had plenty of stretch. The yarn was ideal for this project, lovely and thick and soft.

My sister loves it and it's had plenty of wear already and will probably still have many more oppurtunities for use in the months to come.

On other news, I've now got a new baby to knit for!  My friend's girlfriend is expecting in April, so I'm finding much joy in pouring over and finding some nice boy knits (they already know the gender).  I already have a little niece to knit for, and will soon share a gorgeously cute, easy, quick, all in one seamless cardigan when I've done the little finishing touches.  But it's always nice to have a brand new being to introduce to the wonders of wool.  I was a bit naughty as I have a cardigan that I've vowed to finish for Bella Bee I'd started back in Septemeber and got laid to one side with the Christmas makes.  I tried ever so hard, honestly I did, but I succumbed to those cute little mini knits.  I justified it by the fact that it is a baby knit, so should be quick and simple, I can get it out of my system then get right back on the job of little lady's cardy.  I picked a little vest.  I've done the back and the more I look at it the more it doesn't look right.  It looks a bit too long and narrow to me, especially the top half, after the armhole shaping.  I'm just going to continue and have faith in the pattern and hope it's correct.  After checking the measurements.  Hmm.  I'll let you know.



Peace Out x

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Ohhhh I have the wanties real bad!! It looks good enough to have been bought in a shop :-) I really love the stitch, it looks like moss stitch but different! Will have to investigate...

The colours are great!

Anonymous said...

That is a loveey cowl. My daughter is after making one at the minute so I'll have to show her yours.
Beautiful, Judy xx